When itching, irritation or burning, occurs in an area as sensitive as the vagina and vulva (the labia, clitoris, and vaginal opening), it can be especially uncomfortable. Normally, women of all ages suffer from vaginal itching from time to time.
Nonetheless, itching or irritation around the vagina can be caused due to bacteria or yeast infections, menopause, STD’s or chemical irritants. A weak immune system and extreme stress can augment the chances of suffering from vaginal itching.
Furthermore, aside of vaginal itching and burning, some women may also experience redness, swelling and discharge. Often, women also have discomfort during urination or intercourse.
To deal with vaginal itching one has to maintain proper hygiene and follow a healthy diet. Meanwhile, you can observe simple home therapies to get reprieve from the symptoms.
Here are the top five home remedies for vaginal itches and burning
1. Coconut Oil
The lauric, capric and caprylic acid present in coconut oil contain antiviral and antibacterial properties. The caprylic acids break down the cell membrane of the yeast.
It’s hydrating and soothing properties provide relief from the itching and burning. Coconut oil can be used in two different ways.
- Slater a layer of coconut oil on the vagina and leave it to dry completely.
- Add 3 – 4 drops of coconut oil into 6 cups of water. Use this solution to rinse your vagina. Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat any one of the processes regularly until you find relief.
2. Salt Water Bath
A salt water bath not only provides relief from vaginal itching but also provides a relaxing effect to your body. Salt deals with the bacteria growth that is causing infection. You can use either Epsom salt or sea salt for this process.
- Add 1/2 cup of salt to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Sit in a squatting position in the water for 15 minutes.
- Bath normally and pat dry completely.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times in a day.
For Instant Relief: Add 1 tablespoon of salt to a glass of water and rinse your vagina with this solution.
Caution: Avoid using salt methods, if you have cuts, bruises or open sores.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the vagina which creates an inhospitable environment for yeast growth. It also contains antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Bath normally with mild soap and water.
- Now, rinse your vagina with the ACV solution.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
For added benefits: Add 1 tablespoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of honey to a glass of water and drink it 2 times in a day.
The allicin present in garlic possesses antibacterial and antibiotic properties which kill the yeast causing the itching and other discomforts. Eating 3 garlic cloves in a day helps to boost the immune system and help our body fight infections effectively.
- Combine few drops of garlic oil and 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- Apply the mixture on the vagina and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process 2 times in a day.
It contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which help to get rid of any microbial infection causing vaginal itching.
- Slather a layer of honey on the vagina.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the application with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
While there are a variety of methods you can choose from , these ones mentioned above are very rapid, the ingredients are readily available.
Dietary Tips for Treating Vaginal Itching:
- Avoid eating refined carbohydrates and sugar as yeast thrives on them.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and flush out plenty of toxins.
- Include fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, miso or buttermilk to your daily diet to maintain good microflora
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Cut the consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
- Avoid artificially sweetened foods and carbonated drinks.
- Cranberry creates an acidic environment which makes it difficult for the yeast growth. It also treats urinary tract infections and bladder infections. Drink 2 glasses of unsweetened cranberry juice daily until you get relief from itching.
Tips and Precautions:
- Wear clean and washed underwear after bathing.
- Don’t use harsh soaps and other chemical based vaginal washes as they can aggravate itching.
- Avoid washing the vagina excessively as it can result in skin drying and itching.
- It is better to avoid douching the vagina.
- Avoid participating in sex if you have vaginal itching and burning.
- Though it is difficult to control, it is better to avoid scratching.
- Shun wearing too tight clothes as it can create a warm environment which helps the yeast to thrive.
- Stay away from fabrics that make the vagina itchy and hot.
- Avoid doing bubble baths until you get relief from vaginal itching.
- After exercising or swimming, take a shower as soon as possible.
However, for proper diagnosis and treatment, consult your doctor.